- 26-year-old right hand dominant male Afghan, member of the Afghan Local Police (ALP).
- Self-inflicted gun shot wound to left hand, presented for treatment within 8 hours to the Forward Operating Base surgical team.
- Decreased sensation median nerve distribution, intact radial and ulnar nerve sensation.
- Brisk capillary refill was less than 2 seconds inall digits (perfusion adequate).
- Motor exam not possible due to pain.
Operation proceeded within an hour after presentation.
In the austere environment, what should be done for this patient?
What are the goals of surgery?